Thursday, January 23, 2014

One

All of these texts engendered in me, an increased appreciation, fear, and pure awe at the thought of the power of the natural world. Reading about the devastation of the avalanche at Tunnel Creek and being reminded of Hurricane Katrina's horrors reminds me that I am so small. But, I am a snowflake in a foolish human avalanche that barrels through untouched forest uninvited and dangerous. The panoramic views shown in the NY Times piece were beautifully chilling. The authors detailed descriptions of the snowy landscape made the piece all the more compelling, and I felt myself being transported to cold mountains as I read. I watched the survivors explain how usually, these deadly avalanches are caused by human interference, and this reminded me of the GASLAND trailer, and the art gallery video, because those too reveal how human exploration and exploitation of natural resources can result in serious consequences—water contamination, disease, global warming, and oil spills to name a few. These pieces also beg the question where the line is to be drawn in government's responsibilities. Should they have made it illegal to go down Tunnel Creek? Should they regulate fracking? Should they have helped more during Hurricane Katrina? Should they tamper with the natural beauty Wordsworth found so delightful in the field of daffodils? All these thematic questions are found in the unit texts. In addition to these, we see that the natural world is enthralling, and has compelled people for centuries to new heights, depths, and places across the world previously unknown. The skiers were beckoned by the mountain. Wordsworth was enchanted with the flowers. The art gallery curator explained how for years, artists opened the eyes of the world to the mysterious beauties of the earth. More than enlightenment though, I have come to realize that artists in general—whether movie director, painter, photographer, or writer—are extremely influential. GASLAND was viewed by millions—exposing the world of fracking. Paintings by Bierstadt ushered Westward expansion in the United States. The Times opened the eyes of readers to the dangers of Backcountry skiing and avalanches. The pieces of art in the gallery once served as still trailblazers to exploration. Even the haikus reveal the historical love that humans have had with nature that has endured to this day, as is demonstrated by the 400 year time span that has passed since the works of Basho to the article in the NY Times. The Tyger reveals another example of the power of nature, but in the form of living animal—a tiger. Additionally, Blake subtly suggests questioning higher powers by challenging "What immortal hand or eye dare frame they fearful symmetry?" which is also a connection I saw in the texts with "If God is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise" by Spike Lee. Lee's documentary title implies that it's content might include some reference of God ultimately being in control of nature. Overall, I felt that these pieces together were a terrific example of using diverse texts to engage students. The texts varied in setting, time period, and medium, which made for an engaging compilation to read and consume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment